Friday, September 17, 2010

I think I might be a hippy...

 The 21st Century Hippy, a boy we'll call Bean, my husband "The Beast," and a baby-to-be currently only known as "The Thing."

It has happened so slowly, and it didn't come out of any "Love Mother Earth" mentality.  But I think I'm officially "crunchy" now.

Let me count the ways:
  • I cloth diaper
  • I make my own household cleaners
  • I use hardly any bath and beauty products, and even fewer that are actually from the bath and beauty aisle...(I promise I'm still quite clean!!!)
  • I breastfeed.  And long-term by most standards.
  • I venture down increasingly-few aisles at the supermarket
  • My family is eating less and less meat (I can't imagine we'll ever be completely vegetarian...but never say never?)
  • I make my own peanut butter, yogurt, and ketchup (the ketchup is a work in progress, I admit!)
  • I am currently making a shift from disposable to reusable feminine products (yeah, I know.  "Ick."  "WHAT?!?"  "Ew."  "Never.")
  • We have a garden that has led to delusions of grandeur in the form of my saying things like "wouldn't it be cool if we grew enough food to feed ourselves and trade for locally-raised meat?"  (For perspective, last year's goal was to eat one item out of our garden and we barely succeeded...)
I'm sure there are others, but that's what comes to mind off the top of my head.

For each of these, the choice to do things this way comes down to cost and/or  health.

Oftentimes, we have to balance cost with health value.  For instance, we simply cannot afford to eat organic.  There are a few things we end up buying organic, but that's another post!

In any case, I hope to make this blog about how and why we've done some of these things.  I say "we" because my husband is certainly an active participant in both decision-making and following through on just about all of these.  He even does most of the cooking!

I'm sure I will also be writing about my current projects (like researching and, eventually, attempting to make deodorant, and the imminent growing of our family that will happen within about two weeks!).

I hope you'll enjoy my little corner of the world.  We're not fancy here, but we sure are content!

4 comments:

  1. Dude. This blog was the best idea ever. Half that stuff on the list I wasn't even aware of (ketchup? really?) Am really excited about this blog....even if it's only going to be updated 3x a year!

    I would love your next post to be about the whole no shampoo thing. But I'll read whatever you write!

    -M

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll do a post on no-poo/poo-free/really-needs-a-name-that-doesn't-sound-like-it-involves-poop.

    You're the only person who's made a special request so far I'll do it this week - I'm in a major writing kind of mood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I am looking forward to reading about your experience(s) :-) I agree on the need for a name change for this no-poo business!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this idea! and you are the perfect person to write about it :)

    cant wait for the no-poo (ew!) post. and I would love osme insight on coconut oil or whatever it is your using...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...