Friday, September 24, 2010

A Milestone at Naptime

My sweet, snuggly, high-touch baby grew into (surprise!) a sweet, snuggly, high-touch two-year-old.  He is less than a week from officially being two-and-a-half and today, for the first time ever....

HE FELL ASLEEP NOT TOUCHING ANYONE OR BEING MOTIONED TO SLEEP IN HIS CARSEAT.

Yes, I'm one of those parents that has nursed or snuggled her baby to sleep for every stretch of sleep.  And today wasn't even intentional.  Yesterday and today I have given up on naptime and told him we were just having quiet time - he had to lay down and be quiet.  Those were the only rules.

Yesterday I fell asleep in my bed and woke up to his noisiness in his bed a couple times.  Eventually he crawled up onto my bed and said, "can I snuggle you?"  And then he was out like a light for a couple hours. 

Today I was sure there was not going to be a nap.  I lay on my bed reading, and he would climb up onto my bed, go back down to his bed, ask to get up and go get more Legos or put something away, kick, roll, etc etc.  Finally, with 20 minutes to go before I declared quiet time over (I was aiming for an hour), and with his energy level seeming to increase...I told him sternly that the next time he sat up or made a peep I'd be restraining him (my kid sometimes requires getting completely and totally pissed off - going over the edge - and then he sweetly and instantly relaxes into a snuggle and falls asleep - this has been a strategy for sleep since he was probably 6 or 7 months old).

He said "ok," laid down, and was asleep.

I still can't believe it!

(And, of course, he woke up as soon as we went to get a picture.  So all I have is him passed out in the carseat after a hike!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...