Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Toddler-mommin'


Toddlers and preschoolers.  Holy shit.

Or at least, at the moment, my toddler/preschooler.

It has been a really horrible day of tantrums.  I've thrown a few today and, with almost 30 years of practice, they are superb.  I managed to elicit fear from my young child as I screamed and carried on in frustration.  And, as I lay down with him in a seemingly futile effort to get us both the rest and quiet we needed, I started sobbing.  And he comforted me.  "It's ok, Momma.  It's ok." 

"No, buddy.  No, it's not.  I'm so sorry.  I'm so sorry, but I don't know what else to do and I'm tired of fighting with you."

"Momma, it's ok.  I know it is.  Take deep breaths."

The little beast, who had refused to let me finish wiping the poop off his butt not 5 minutes earlier  (I ended up turning him upside-down over one arm so I could finish the job with a free hand...) now wanted to stop my crying.  Oy.

WHY NOT LET ME JUST WIPE HIS BUTT???  AND THEN GET THE REST HE SO NEEDS????

I know he doesn't understand.  My little boy is about as smart as they come, but there is so much - especially about emotions (and the health hazards of poop) - that I know he doesn't yet have the capacity to comprehend.

After a day like today (if only a poopy butt were the sole power struggle...), I come away feeling tired, low, and relieved that I somehow managed not to strike my child.

Or eat my young.

I'd just like to reiterate:  holy shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...