Sunday, December 12, 2010

Something has changed...


While I was pregnant with Squeak, I worked out regularly right up until I went on bedrest (at about 31 weeks).  I had been envisioning myself walking or working out on the elliptical daily right up until delivery - I really hoped that it would keep me off bedrest longer (or entirely) and make delivery and recovery easier.

Right before I got pregnant, I had also found a running moms group online and several of us found ourselves pregnant with October 2010 due dates.  So I had a whole lot of like-minded friends all talking enthusiastically about when we were going to run our first postpartum races!  And then I read Born to Run.  I found myself excited about running like I hadn't been in awhile.

I've officially re-discovered a love of running, and this time it has come with a sense of adventure.  It's a chance to get away from the literal noise of my life (there is no quiet with a toddler/preschooler and a baby!) and to come back with a sense of accomplishment and a sense that I've done something for myself and for my family.  I run without music or an iPod or anything.  I hear my own thoughts (sometimes the only chance I get!) and enjoy my own company.

It's divine.

As someone who hated running and really anything that felt remotely like a competitive sport as a child (last to be picked in gym class, thankyouverymuch!), and having grown up in the desert and complained about how cold it was, I would never have been picked Most Likely to Run in the Snow.  Heck, a year ago I don't think I would have run in the snow...

Today it was 23 degrees and snowing when it came time for my run.  It was snowing pretty hard, actually.  Huge white flakes that gathered on my eyelashes.  I went out anyway.  I went out giddy with excitement.  Could I do this?  Or am I too much of a baby?

I went out dressed in the garb pictured above and thought for a moment that I was too much of a baby.  My legs were just too cold and I was positive I wouldn't be able to get them to turn over long enough to warm them up.  I came back in and grabbed my cheap, old, damaged pair of Gap wind pants.

And then I ran.

What caused me to end my work-out a little early was that my toes and fingers were numb, while the rest of me was sweating.  Almost all of me felt good, but I didn't think it was a good idea to keep going with numb extremities.

As I neared home, I ran up a hill and noted that the sidewalks were now covered in just enough snow to make them slightly slippery - another indicator it was time to come home.

I'm getting warm running gear for Christmas - specifically wool running socks and a great pair of gloves that will solve today's problem.

I'm psyched.  This is a challenge I can conquer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...