Saturday, January 1, 2011

Baby No-Poo



There's a joke somewhere in that title about a baby called Baby No-Poo...

I realized today that it has been 5 months since I've used poo'ed myself!  I've had dreams (nightmares?) about using shampoo without thinking, and being so upset about it!  In reality, I've even had my hair cut at a salon, and have just foregone the wash or any product (my hair always looks like crap right after a haircut anyway - it gets all stunned and frizzy.  I look like a q-tip.)

In any case, I have been really happy without shampoo.  I probably only use baking soda once a month.  The rest of the time, I either spray my hair wet (when I don't have a chance to shower), wet it down in the shower, or use only apple cider vinegar - the ACV is an awesome detangler, so if my hair just feels matted or sort of "not fresh" it works great.  If I actually feel like my hair is dirty, then I use baking soda.

My hair is pretty dry (curly hair tends to be!), so I have only had minimal problems with oiliness - and it's from adding in too much coconut oil.  I touch up with coconut oil pretty much every time I shower, and sometimes it builds up a little too much.  Then it's time for baking soda - which I use so infrequently that I don't even have it in a tub in the shower anymore.  If I need it, I get a one-use amount in a little cup before I get in the shower.

I know some people have had problems with dandruff and oiliness, and here is a great trouble-shooting blog entry.  I haven't had to personally try anything...my hair seems to be sort of indestructible?

Recently we ran out of Burt's Bees baby wash and shampoo.  Bean had been using some crazy blue mousse-style stuff that a grandma got him, and then was into some bubble bath from Northern Essence (love that shop), so I don't think we'll meet much resistance when he returns to using stuff from the Burt's Bees bottle and I've filled it with something new.

The something new is, thus far, really super simple:  castille soap and some essential oil (for scent).  I used lavendar and tea tree oil.  How much?  Too much.  I don't know how many drops, but I added grapefruit, then added so much lavender that it overpowered the grapefruit...so I had to add more grapefruit.  Now it smells stronger than I'd really wanted.

If anyone has any idea how to make the Burt's Bees baby bee scent, I'd love to know.  That stuff smells sooooooo good!

Anyway, I used Dr. Bronner's liquid castille soap (unscented), but I've also seen several recipes that use shavings from bars of castille soap plus distilled water.   You have to boil the water and do more than just put liquid soap in a bottle and (if you want) add something for the smell of it.  I'm really not sure why you'd want to go through all that.  So you feel like you're actually making something more from "scratch?"

As for what is in castille soap - they are soaps made from pure vegetable oils.  Soap requires a fat (animal or vegetable) and an alkaline solution (usually lye).  I'm only just starting to read up on this part, but castille just implies it that it is made from vegetable oil (it used to be only olive oil).

And now for a nearly complete aside:  whether you want to use it or not, you have to go find a bottle of Dr. Bronner's soap (any variety) and read the label (or read here).  "Dr Bronner" was most definitely an eccentric, and the labelling reflects it!

Here's the trailer for a documentary about him (I haven't seen it, but the trailer made me smile).



There are videos on the company's website of his son Ralph telling stories about him, too.

And a final complete aside:  Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...