Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Body Burden

I read a post over at The Wellness Bitch a few months ago that introduced me to the term "body burden."  Essentially, body burden refers to the chemicals found in one's bloodstream.  They come from foods, things we touch, and even through the umbilical cord to a fetus.

The Environmental Working Group (EWG) spearheaded a study that tested the cord blood of 10 newborns.  The results and their implications are alarming.

And, sure, you could say that we can't be entirely sure what (if anything) these various chemicals do in our bodies.  Maybe they're not harmful.  But...I can't imagine most of them aren't harmful in some way, and some have already been shown to be carcinogenic, etc.

To get an estimate of your own body burden and what areas you could improve in (and how you might improve), you can take this quiz.

I will continue to try and reduce the chemicals that I consume, slather on my body, and touch regularly.  My overall score on the quiz was 257/794, which it said was low.  I scored above average in the flame retardants category.  I can follow their advice to vacuum more often....but I'm not getting rid of our couches! 

I'm curious to hear your scores and what sort of advice you received to improve your body burden.  Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...