Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Update (Progress on the work-in-progress): Deodorant

On Sunday, I finally got around to making my own deodorant.  I started with this recipe and modified it slightly.

I used:
-1/2 cup of coconut oil
-4 tbsp of baking soda
-2 tbsp of corn starch
-2 drops of tea tree essential oil (I figured it would help with antibacterial-ness)
-6 drops grapefruit essential oil (just because I adore the smell of grapefruit, if you haven't picked up on that before!)

I should have cut all that in half - I now have a deodorant container full off the stuff and an 8 oz jar that is half full of the remainder!

In any case, here's exactly what I did:

I had Bean help me melt the coconut oil by putting it in a 16oz jar and putting that in the sink in hot tap water (it melts at about 77 degrees Fahrenheit).  Bean had fun trying to get it to melt faster.  He even suggested "maybe we need to put it on its side."  He was right, since that warmed more of the jar's surface area!  Ultimately, I moved the still-solid oil to an 8oz jar so it would warm up and melt faster.

 Goofy smile.  I even instructed him to open his eyes while he smiled!

 The jar of oil is in there...Bean just got so into playing with this rag.  I can never predict what is going to distract and enthrall him!

Once it was melted, I poured the oil into a bowl and added the baking soda, corn starch, and essential oils.  Originally I tried stirring with a spoon, but a whisk broke up powder clumps and got everything to mix together much faster.  I whisked it for awhile, and then got impatient for it to thicken up.  It was already getting a little thicker, so I grabbed a spatula to keep it moving and plunked it in a cold water bath (this involved shooing Bean from the sink, where he was "swimming a fish" - i.e. dragging a rag around in the water and narrating).  It quickly got to an icing consistency, and I decided that was a good time to mash it into the empty deodorant tube.

Once that was done, and I'd put the leftovers in the jar, I put the deodorant in the fridge to set.

 I'll try it for several days and then give you my verdict!

I have one concern already, and that is that I'm only going to be able to make this stuff in the colder months, unless I'm sitting in front of one of our window a/c units while I mix it and wait for it to solidify!  So perhaps it's a good thing that I made so much of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...