Monday, March 21, 2011

Manic Monday. With cupcakes.

They're not that pretty, but I'm still proud.  These are the first cupcakes I've ever decorated!!  And I got them finished 6 hours after starting to make them with Bean...
 4 hours of sleep. Yogurt.  Granola.  Potpourri.  Three dozen cupcakes.   Tired.  But happy.

I cannot believe today was pleasant.  I was prepared to scrap pretty much every project at any moment, but it all ended up working out.  Love days like that.

I stayed up ridiculously late last night crossing things off my to-do list.  I went to bed at 1AM and, of course, Squeak decided to start his day at 5AM.  When it was clear he was truly awake, I passed him off to The Beast and climbed in bed with Bean (who will not sleep alone in the mornings - this comes into play momentarily...).

Squeak was cranky.  Between 5 and...I think 6:45 he started screaming twice (at least twice that I heard over the noise machine in Bean's room).  So I scrambled out of Bean's bed to grab up the baby at 6:45, and Bean woke up (of course) and started his day with horrible sensitivity.  He should have slept at least another hour!

By 8AM, The Beast was at work, Squeak was asleep in his swing, and I declared a necessary morning quiet time because the puddle of collapsed, weeping child in my kitchen was just. too. much.  I told him he just needed to go relax, maybe take a nap (which he did not)

I took the opportunity to make yogurt which, by the way, takes a maximum of 20 minutes and I should really post about it soon!

Bean came out from quiet time in a much better mood, but still obviously exhausted.  I repeatedly suggested going outside (it was cool and damp, but still lovely).  We sat on the back deck and read books and snuggled until Squeak woke up.

Bean was too tired for anything active and requested to watch a video (about airplanes, of course), which gave me the opportunity to throw together some granola (also quick and easy, and a recipe I could post if anyone wants it) since Squeak was pretty thrilled to play with some toys in his high chair.

It is Monday, so we had a baking project planned for the afternoon.  Actually, we technically had two projects:  potpourri and "Hostess" cupcakes.

First we got the potpourri going (it's still going as I write this).  We had some tangelos and some grapefruit that hadn't been very good for eating, and they have been sitting around for awhile as a result.  So I sliced them up and Bean spread them out on our dehydrator trays.  Then he sprinkled cinnamon and ground cloves over the slices.  It's completely out of season, but I couldn't figure out what else to do with the citrus!

Then we got to work on the cupcakes.  I have a list of all kinds of potential cooking projects (including soap.  And even a possible attempt at making cheese - I'm willing to try things with him and totally fail as long as it doesn't cost a whole lot of money in materials!), and Bean chose these "Hostess" cupcakes from Bakingdom.  Except he suggested we make the filling peanut butter flavored.  I thought that was a pretty good idea!

I need to tell you, first off, that this made THREE DOZEN cupcakes.  I didn't see anywhere how many I should expect to make, nor did I take the time to estimate.  Stuuuuuupid.  We made three dozen cupcakes with no event or crowd in mind!!

So I'd consider making a third of this recipe just for funsies.

I have not altered the Bakingdom recipes for the cupcakes (except I recommend using 3 tablespoons of batter per cupcake) or the icing - only for the filling (since we made it peanut butter - and it was goooooood).  

 I'm going to copy and paste her recipe, but move things around a little - it was not laid out in a way that was easy for me to glance back and forth while trying to keep Bean from.  well.  I guess I didn't keep Bean from doing much of anything, since today he put cereal in the dog's water bowl and overflowed the bathroom sink.  He managed to do all this even though he had two quiet times and a nap!

Oh screw it.  I'm tired.  I'll give you the recipe for the peanut butter filling, and you can go see the Bakingdom recipe for the rest!  K?  K.

Peanut Butter Filling
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened if you remember (unlike me)
2/3 cup confectioner's sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
pinch salt (I omit)
1 cup marshmallow spread

In a medium bowl, cream the butter and sugar together. Stir in the vanilla and pinch of salt (I omit the salt). Mix in the marshmallow spread and the peanut butter and mix until light and fluffy. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes. 


Bean put the cupcake liners in the tin for this batch, and they were a little cock-eyed.  
And also I am too tired to edit pictures.  At all. 

  
At the end, The Beast was trying to get Bean ready for bed, Squeak was clearly on the edge (and in The Beast's arms) and I felt like this just needed to be done and who cares whether they look good???  Check out that top one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...