Monday, May 2, 2011

Clean Naturally: Recipes for Body, Home, and Spirit (Book Review)


I've recently been reading some natural/green/less-chemically cleaning and body care books (you can read a short review of another book here), and Clean Naturally:  Recipes for Body, Home, and Spirit, by Sandy Maine was the latest.  This book was a little too....complicated?  Esoteric?  In any case, there's no way I can make much use of it right now.  I simply can't safely make soap with a preschooler and an infant, though I think that would be a great science experiment (slash craft?) when the kids are older.

Sandy Maine has an obvious love of soap crafting and makes housekeeping sound breezy and relaxing.  Which is great, except (again) impossible with a preschooler and an infant.  It actually made me want to rip pages out of the book as she talked about doing weekly chores and rotating focus each month through different rooms of the house.  I'm pretty proud if the bathroom is cleaned each week.

Maine romanticizes natural fibers on brooms, brushes, and mops...but then her given resources to find such things were either out of business or had websites that were difficult to navigate.  Plus I'm guessing they're expensive and not something I'd invest in at this juncture - maybe in a few years.

I will say, though, that I have added glycerin soap to my list of kitchen projects to do with Bean.  There are several recipes in this book that look promising for that purpose (you don't actually have to make the soap - just melt it).

So this is one book I may appreciate more later, particularly if my kids want to do a science fair experiment that might result in some lovely gifts.

It's definitely worth a read if you want to try your hand at soap-making.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...