Friday, July 22, 2011
This bit of information was passed along to me by a friend after I posted about vinegar way back when.
Did you know a spritz with white vinegar followed by a spritz of hydrogen peroxide will kill almost all Salmonella, Shigella, and E. coli O157:H7 bacteria? And it results in an edible mixture!
Keep two separate spray bottles (don't mix the two), and follow one immediately by the other (doesn't matter which one first). I use this mainly to disinfect in the bathroom - specifically the toilet - but it is also useful in the kitchen for cutting boards, around the sink, and as a vegetable wash (since it's edible in such a small amount)!
And, of course, hydrogen peroxide makes an inexpensive and safe stain remover on its own.
Note: Hydrogen peroxide should not be ingested in any kind of sizable quantity, so this is one to keep out of reach of the kids. The spritz on the veggies when washing them is fine, though.