Saturday, July 9, 2011

Potato Pancakes (Latkes)

I grew up celebrating both Christmas and Hanukkah.  When The Beast and I got married, I hadn't celebrated Hanukkah at all for years, but I decided I wanted to start up some of my own family traditions and make them mine and The Beast's family traditions.

So, ever since our first winter as a married couple, we have celebrated the first night of Hanukkah with a dinner of brisket and latkes...and I think one year there was matzo ball soup, but it was a bust so has not been repeated.

I'm sharing the recipe in July in honor of my mother-in-law's purchase of a food processor and because these are totally worth eating more than once a year!

Use the food processors grater attachment to make quick work of all the grating.

Ingredients:
4 large potatoes (about 1.25lbs), peeled and grated
1 medium onion (optional, but I recommend), grated
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
about 1/2 c. oil for frying

-Grate potatoes and onions, using grating disk of a food processor or large holes of grater.
-Transfer them to a colander and squeeze the mixture to press out as much liquid as possible.  Transfer to bowl.
-Mix in egg, salt, pepper, flour, and baking powder.
-For each pancake, drop about 2 Tbsp potato mixture into hot oil in a pan.  Flatten with the back of the spoon - each cake is about 2.5-3 inches in diameter.
-Fry over medium heat 4-5 minutes each side, or until golden brown and crisp (the hotter your pan or griddle gets, the faster they'll cook). 
-Drain on paper towels (or unpaper towels, but they will get oily and require a little extra laundering).
-Stir batter between batches and add flour if too thin.

I serve with powdered sugar and apple sauce.  YUM.

P.S.  Once again, I don't have any pictures!  Perhaps I will take pictures of the results when we use D's new food processor on vacation oh-so-soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...