Sunday, August 28, 2011

I'm a Parent?


For no reason other than knowing me well and thinking of me, a good friend sent me this book last week and it is cracking me up.

The cover says (in increasingly tiny print):
I'M A PARENT?  A journal to ponder the unfathomable circumstance that I somehow have offspring even though I have no idea what I'm doing but it sure seems like everybody else does because they're not stinting on the advice as if I don't love my kid(s) which of course I do but the little bugger(s) are going to need therapy no matter what and in all honesty I couldn't adore them more but sometimes I think I'm going out of my mind with frustration and self-doubt.
Inside, every left page is a quote.  Some of my favorites (so far) are:

"Any kid will run any errand for you, if you as at bedtime" - Red Skelton
"Patience, n.  A minor form of despair, disguised as a virtue." - Ambrose Bierce
"The truth is that parents are not really interested in justice.  They just want quiet."  - Bill Cosby

Every right page allows you to put in the date at the top and then says "WHY I'M A LESS-THAN-PERFECT PARENT TODAY."

You get to journal your imperfections and then check off symbols at the bottom of the page for junk food, television, working, or yelling at the bottom indicating what "today's parental shortcomings involved."

It's great!  I do keep a journal for my kids, so I will use this when I've filled my current journal.  For now, it's sitting on an end table next to the chair I usually nurse Squeak in.  I can flip through it between the eleventy billion times Bean comes out of his room during quiet time (and yet, somehow, I have rarely felt I would need to check off that box for yelling....but that is a different post).

Anyway, I thought this was a great gift for any parent!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...