Friday, August 26, 2011

Quick and Delicious Peanut Sauce

Not a picture of this actual dish.  The night I made this and intended to take pictures, everything got a little chaotic.  And by "a little chaotic" I mean that Bean had not eaten and was supposed to go to a friend's, so I sent him off screaming and shirtless with a bowlful of dinner.  Which he then refused to eat.

Ever since I made this for the first time, I want it every other night!  It is incredibly fast and easy, it's delicious, it's nutritious, and it is enjoyable for everyone.  It takes maybe 30 minutes from start to finish to get this on the table, including prepping the garnish and wrangling kids!  Thanks to my friend Leah for the original recipe, which I've modified.

We've been enjoying this as a sort of quickie Pad Thai, but I'd love to hear any other ways you might try it!

Ingredients:
2 TBSP oil (peanut, olive, or vegetable)
2 cloves garlic, minced  (about 1 tsp)
1 tsp ginger grated*, minced, or powdered
1 cup water
1 tsp coriander
2/3 cup peanut
2 TBSP Bragg's Amino (or soy sauce)
3 TBSP rice vinegar (can use other light vinegar)
1 TBSP chili paste or hot sauce (a tsp or two if you don't like spicy!)

Directions:
1) Sautee the garlic and ginger in the oil
2) Add water and coriander and bring to a boil
3) Add peanut butter and whisk until thickened**
4) Add remaining ingredients (setting some aside before adding the chili paste if you have a family member who doesn't like spicy food) and whisk

I've been mixing this into 14oz or more of rice noodles (the packages available to me come as either 8oz or 14oz).  I make a plate of garnish for everyone to add.  We like chopped peanuts, thin-sliced shallots (if we happen to have those expensive buggers around!), lime slices/juice, and grated carrot.  Other garnish ideas include bean sprouts, red cabbage, and green onions.  And, of course, you could also add some chicken, tofu, or shrimp!

I do set aside some sauce for Bean before I make it spicy, and I set aside some plain noodles for Squeak, since he's not eating peanuts yet.

*you can keep fresh ginger in the freezer and grate it straight out of the freezer, and it keeps a lonnnnnng time in the freezer

**Leah had said in her original recipe that sometimes the sauce starts popping when the peanut butter is added, and it's fine to remove it from the heat and finish up.  I haven't yet had this happen.
 


Photo Credit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...