Monday, March 26, 2012

Dinosaur Kale

There happened to be a triceratops on the table.  I couldn't resist!


Last summer I grew a lot of kale.  I am still a gardening novice.  I grew kale because I could, not because I loved it.  Actually, at the beginning of the summer I had no idea what to do with it!  I had only had baby kale in salad mixes!

A couple of friends recommended the same way of cooking it - sauteed in olive oil with garlic and red pepper.  One of them called it "dinosaur kale."  So I'm stealing her cute name!  (Thanks, L)
This is quick and easy.  Over the summer, I would go cut some for a quick snack!

Ingredients:
-olive oil
-1 bunch of kale
-3 cloves of garlic
- crushed red pepper

Instructions:
1. Using a chef's knife, trim the ends off the stems of the kale (you can lay the whole bunch on a cutting board and do this in a single cut).
2. Wash the kale.  I usually use a salad spinner to get out the excess moisture afterwards.
3. Separate the leaves and the stems.  This is the most labor-intensive step, and it just take a minute or two.  Put the stems back onto the cutting board, the leaves in a bowl or back in the salad spinner.
Stems!
4. Chop the stems into 1-2" sections.
5. Pour a good glug of olive oil into a pan (I prefer to use our cast iron skillet because it's nice and deep, but it wasn't available for use when I took these pictures!), heat it on medium-high, and then add the stems.
6.  While that's heating up, mince the garlic.
7.  Saute the stems until they darken and start to soften (a few minutes).
8.  Add the minced garlic and saute just long enough for the garlic to sizzle in the olive oil


Leaves!
9.  Add the leaves and some red pepper flakes. Cook until wilted.  I actually like my kale to get just a little browned.
10.  Enjoy!



Spaghetti with sauce, lentils, and a side of dinosaur kale.

I think I'm funny.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...