Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The word of the day is "anthropomorphize."



A couple of weeks ago I pissed off my hip flexors.  I'm pretty sure it is specifically my psoas (pronounced "SO-azz"), which keeps popping.  It had been grumbling for awhile (probably years), but it went from kind of a "this again?"  to "BREA YOU ARE CRAZY WHAT ARE YOU THINKING OMG STOP IT I AM DONE."  And then it just up and walked away hurt so bad I limped for three days. 

I have been slowly (SO. SLOWLY.) trying to get my mileage back again, as I'm still hoping/planning to run my first half marathon on the 31st.  I did six miles this morning and had a conversation with my psoas almost the entire time.  (Maybe "psoas" should be the word of the day?)  It went like this:

Me:  Dude.  3-and-a-half weeks until I'm running a half marathon.  You realize I'm running whether you continue to revolt or not, right?

Psoas (entire body tense, eyes closed, chanting):  No hills no hills no hills no hills.

Me:  Suck it up!  I'll avoid the big, huge, long one and I'll go easy on the rest.  Chill out!

Psoas (curling up in a tight little ball and pulling on every neighboring muscle and bone):  Noooooooo we're on a hillllllll!

Me:  OMG please let go of my piriformis.  Please please please let go of my piriformis.  No need to involve her or anything else back there!  Just chill out.

Psoas:
......is it over?  It's over?  Oh that wasn't so bad.  Flat surface.  We're good!  It's all good!  This is nice.  NOOOOOO! ANOTHER HILL!

::Sigh::Of course I am running a course that is notoriously hilly.  The hills are infamous for their number, their length, and their...steepness?  Steeptitude?  Change in elevation?  In any case, there are a couple of steep doozies - one that is so steep, the sidewalk next to it is actually stairs.

I will be finishing this half marathon.  It's possible I will limp across the finish line and spend the next week in a bathtub full of ice, but I will be getting my finisher's medal and able to say I finished the darn thing.  It's paid for.  It's a long-time goal.  Done.

I might be a stubborn ass.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...