Friday, April 13, 2012

The Story of My Body: Frances


Well my body story is not glorious, or even as fulfilling as some others you will read.  But here it is. 

I have always struggled with my weight.  Partially from not caring, and partially from environmental things like family trouble.  I was always the heavy girl in school, and pretty much anywhere I went.  I have had a lot of ups and downs in my life.  I was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder when I was 15 years old.  That was the same year my parents were getting divorced.  It drove me to eat, and eat a lot.  But some good has come out of it: I have a passion for food. 

So my self-esteem has always been rather low.  Maybe it is because I was the big girl, or maybe it was that I couldn’t face my disorder.  I’m not really sure, but until very recently they have both followed me around like weights. 

After high school my life spiraled down for several years.  Until the year my father passed away.  I realized that I did need medication and that I would be “better” with it.  From that point on my disorder didn’t rule my life. 

After several years of getting stable I came to another realization.  I need to get healthy for me and any future I want to have.  I am legally disabled from my bipolar illness, but I am working on a plan to move past this hardship and become an active member in whatever I choose to do.  So in December 2011, I started this journey of losing weight and becoming healthy.  I have lost 30 lbs. since then and I am continuing on this journey until I get where I want to be. 

My goal is to be able to run a mile.  Right now I can walk about half a mile and I think that is pretty good, considering I have been a smoker for 15 years.  Also something I am giving up for my health.  My heaviest was about 330 lbs.  I’m on this journey for the long haul and every day I feel a little better about myself and that I am going to accomplish all these things.  Cheers to us, ladies. We all have struggles but it’s how we turn those struggles into successes. 

Would you like to participate in this series? Email me your words and pictures!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...