Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Story of My Body: Jenny


Last fall I went to an informational session on bariatric surgery. At nearly 260 lbs. I was a candidate for it and my insurance would cover it around June of 2012. I had "tried" - according to me - everything and the weight just wasn't going to come off. I was large chested and with a 48 DDD bra size, I could hardly stand up straight and was always hunched over. A breast reduction was in my future for 2012.

In November of 2011 I took my daughter to Nickelodeon Universe at the Mall of America, an indoor amusement park. She desperately wanted to go on the barnyard roller coaster. I was excited to go with her and stood in line. It was finally our turn and we sat down in the car. I quickly realized... There was no way I was going to fit...

The teenage worker came over and tried to push with all of his might to get this safety bar into place, it just wasn't going to happen. I apologized got off of the roller coaster, gave my daughter a hug, told my husband I needed to use the restroom and I started to cry.

How did I get here? A size 24, not fitting in rides with my daughter, struggling to make it up the flight of stairs without wheezing. I have always struggled with my weight and in college I made some poor eating choices and ended up very unhealthily getting myself down to a size 10. I was a size 16 when I became pregnant with my now 4-year old-daughter. I was 217 lbs. I got VERY VERY sick during that pregnancy. Full time undergrad coursework, a busy extra-curricular load and a biological father to my unborn child who was not supportive.

The day that I went in to be induced I weight 217 lbs. The same as when I started my pregnancy. My beautiful daughter was born, Olivia Cathleen. Olivia was a happy and healthy baby. When she was 5 1/2 months old her biological father shook her, rocking our world. Life wasn't the same, could it ever be the same again? Would my beautiful baby be able to walk, talk, be able to feed herself? The answers were unsure. I started to eat myself through the pain and uncertainty.



My now-husband was my rock for me during this time and was an amazing father to Olivia. We were married in 2009 and the weight just kept going up. In April of 2010 my husband officially adopted my daughter, it was a very happy moment for our family. In June of 2010 after six months of trying we found out we were pregnant with our son, Matthew. He was born in March of 2011 and we are so blessed to have him in our lives. My weight just kept going up, that whole year. Bringing me to the Mall of America and not fitting in the roller coaster..

Something inside of me snapped. In December I started watching what I ate. I did a juice detox, juicing fresh veggies and fruits for ten days, cut out meat, and started walking. In January we joined a new gym, and I started a Couch to 5K program. Running became my "me" time. Something I didn't have before. Am I a great runner? No.. But I am trying really hard. My first race is on Mothers day 2012.

Since December I have lost 50 lbs, my chest has gone from a whopping 48 DDD to a 38 C. I now wear size 14 pants.  A few weeks ago I visited the Mall of America again and guess what.. I COULD fit in that ride with my daughter.

They told me I couldn't do it, they told me gastric bypass was my only option to get healthy. They told me to schedule a breast reduction because there was no way I was going to lose the weight on my own.

I have about 30 lbs to go until my goal weight, but I learned something very strong the past four months.

YES I CAN.

December 2011 and April 2012

Would you like to participate in this series? Email me your words and pictures!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...