Monday, April 23, 2012

The Story of My Body: Pam


The Story of My Body series is currently published on Mondays and Fridays here at Contentedly Crunchy.  Would you like to participate in this series? Email me your words and pictures!
For the longest time, I was one of those that everyone was jealous of: I could eat anything I wanted and not gain a pound. But that doesn’t mean I was healthy. I never exercised; I was a cheerleader in 9th grade, but that was the extent of it. I smoked, drank like every teenager did and ate the most unhealthy foods. But yet, I stayed skinny and never reached much over 100 lbs. until I moved in with my now husband. He was an awesome cook, but he still cooked fatty things. I gained 15 lbs. within months because I was eating regularly, but still was considered very skinny.
Fast forward 15 years, and I am now almost 40, have had 2 kids, and was at the highest I’ve ever weighed except for at full term pregnancy. I weighed 140 lbs. While for some that may not seem a lot, for me it was definitely unacceptable, and to top it off I wasn’t healthy. I wasn’t smoking anymore, but I didn’t exercise regularly and I ate extremely fatty foods. My hubby is an awesome cook; just doesn’t always cook the healthiest of things. I definitely needed a change.
I started out walking; I would read my book as I walked the treadmill. This wasn’t enough of a challenge for me. I had a friend who ran, and I thought, what the heck, why don’t I give it a try. To be honest, I really didn’t like running at first. It was hard, and I sucked at it. But I kept at it, and it started getting a bit easier.


Then, I signed up for my first race. After that you could say the rest is history.  I was hooked!  One 5k turned into multiple 5k’s and that turned into a 10k, and then my first half marathon – which I have to say really sucked!! I thought I was going to die. I hadn’t trained properly due an injury, and I definitely wasn’t prepared. I promised myself the next one would be better, and it was. I finished 15 minutes faster than my first! So now I’m hooked on half marathons; it’s the perfect distance, and you get a nice shiny medal at the end.
This healthy obsession with races has motivated me to keep training, which has helped with my weight loss. But I learned that even though I was running, I’d only lost a few pounds. So I started the monotonous task of calorie counting. While it opened my eyes to how many calories are really in certain foods, it didn’t really work for me. I just had to train my body to get used to eating smaller portions, and I had to strengthen my self-control for goodies.
I now am down 15 lbs. and have reached my goal weight of 125 lbs. My next goal is to tone, and strengthen my muscles. But, I can honestly say I am truly happy with my body for the first time in years. I can’t wait for bathing suit season so I can show off what I have worked so hard to achieve. Thank you, running!!!!

The Story of My Body series is currently published on Mondays and Fridays here at Contentedly Crunchy.  Would you like to participate in this series? Email me your words and pictures!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...