Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Thank you, Bully

Photo Credit:  Will Clayton on Flickr
The bully on Bean's bus became an issue again.  Yesterday she hit, spit on, and teased my son.  An older boy tried to help; he had Bean and the bully's other target move away from the bully and sit with him.  The bully followed and crawled under the seat to get to Bean as he sat by the window and the older boy sat by the aisle.

On a day he wore clothes entirely from the boys' department (not that it matters) she asked him teasingly why he was wearing girls' clothes.  (To which he responded "first of all, these aren't girls' clothes!  And also, there's no such thing as girl clothes!  Or boy clothes!")

We've already worked with the school to address the behavior, but I'd also like to thank her.

Thank you, Bully, for bringing my family closer together, for showing me just how resilient my son is, and for giving me a chance to learn from him.  Thank you for giving my child the opportunity to witness the awesome example of an older boy who watches out for those who could use a little help.  I hope - I deeply hope - that this is a chance for you and your family to feel closer and for you to figure out a bit more of this socializing thing.  I know it's tough, and it took me a long time to figure out, too!

My son's self-confidence is completely intact, and possibly strengthened.  Thank you.  Thank you for the relief of knowing my son is more secure than I ever was, and that his teachers will protect him from emotional injury and take both words and actions very seriously.  Thank you for giving him a chance to shine brightly and reflect back at me everything I have ever said to him about compassion and empathy - you have him to thank for my remaining calm.

I am breathing a sigh of relief as my heart is filled with love and respect for my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...