Sunday, November 2, 2014

30 Days of Gratitude: Our Year in Albuquerque

Hot Air Balloons getting ready to launch at Mass Ascension (Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta)!

30 Days of Gratitude, Day 2: Our Year in AlbuquerqueTechnically it lasted less than a year (11 months), but living in ABQ was generally wonderful.  I had a fractured and otherwise messed up foot the entire time we were there so I didn't get to run/exercise as normal and my weight reached heights it has only seen in pregnancy, but it was still a place I will think of fondly. 

I lived in El Paso, Texas, until I was 14.  Albuquerque and El Paso (and Texas and New Mexico) are definitely different places with varied quirks and cultures, but being back in the Southwest was a special thing to share with my little family.  (And they have Taco Cabana in ABQ...)

We had mountains in our vista, heard Spanish regularly, ate fantastic food, enjoyed a relatively mild winter, learned about cultures we had never encountered before directly from people wanting to share their heritage and traditions, and felt a bit less stressed over finances.  I got to see a friend who'd moved from Indiana regularly, and managed to meet some wonderful people who I remain in touch with (thank you, Facebook!).  The kids and I could decide to go to the wonderful zoo/bonatical garden/aquarium at the last minute after Bean got out of school - it was a 15-minute drive from our house!  We don't seem to be big city people, but Albuquerque was just big enough.

As it's getting cold and gray here, I definitely miss ABQ!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...